Disappointment in the Coupe du Bas-Rhin: Rot-Weiss Essen is eliminated in Wuppertal

Rot-Weiss Essen suffered a bitter bankruptcy at the end of the season. In the semi-final of the Bas-Rhin Cup, RWE lost 3-1 to Wuppertal.

Red and white food can now fully concentrate on the final title sprint. As in the previous year, the semi-finals of the Coupe du Bas-Rhin marked the end of the line for coach Christian Neidhart’s team. To league competitor Wuppertal SV there was a 1:3 (1:2) defeat, which was not undeserved due to the sleepy first 20 minutes. With Wuppertal now looking forward to the final against SV Straelen – a replay of last year’s final – (May 21), the red-whites need to get back on their feet quickly, otherwise the big goal of the season will also be lost to SV Rödinghausen on Saturday.

Niederrheinpokal: Wuppertaler SV vs Rot-Weiss Essen in the live ticker to read

Wuppertal – RWE 3 : 1

RWE coach Christian Neidhart had a surprise ready on the roster sheet: less that Felix Bastians returned to the starting XI after recovering from injury, but the fact that Nils Kaiser got his chance in midfield from the start. And first of all: He did his job well.

The cup match accelerated from the start. Wuppertal, who had met their former rivals more defensively in the league, got involved just as well. The guests gave themselves the first chance, but Simon Engelmann shot wide at the far post from a tight angle (5′). The red-whites were then shocked with a double strike: Roman Prokoph perfectly picked up a pass in the interface, shook the central defense and unleashed a powerful strike from 18 meters: 1-0 after 18 minutes for the hosts .

The Essen side had barely recovered from the clash when the hosts struck again: Prokoph had been fouled 25 yards from goal, former Essen player Kevin Rodrigues-Pires took precise measures, but his shot did not seem completely untenable – but he resisted 2-0 (21st).

We don’t understand why Björn Mehnert’s team fell back a bit and brought the Essen team back into the game. Kaiser was fouled at the edge of the penalty area, but Thomas Eisfeld’s free-kick hit a defender’s head in the wall. But two minutes later the decisive goal came before the break: Sandro Plechaty crossed perfectly, Marius Kleinsorge’s header bounced off the inside post and into the net – 2:1 (36′), that sounded even better.

In the second half, the guests formed a circle again, should everything be okay now? Striker Prokoph (48th) had the opportunity to head the ball back to the far post, but was no longer put under pressure from behind. But RWE was more alert now: Kleinsorge’s throw-in, Heber extended the header – but goalkeeper Patzler pushed Engelmann’s header over the bar (53rd). A minute later he almost lived up to his name: Plechaty had shot, the WSV keeper bounced forward, but Bastians failed from a short distance at the tip of Patzler – it was not easy to don’t convert it…

Here is more news about Rot-Weiss Essen:

But Essen followed suit, WSV were only busy shoveling the ball out of the penalty area. RWE made a substitution after 67 minutes, Janjic replaced Kaiser – and two minutes later the last chance was over. Another free kick found the excellent Prokoph’s head, and he kicked the ball into the net from ten yards out: 3-1.

Rot-Weiss Essen also weak in the final stage

Coach Neidhart responded with a triple change, bringing in Oguzhan Kefkir, Cedric Harenbrock and Nico Haiduk. Efforts were made in the period that followed, nothing more to say about the last quarter of an hour. On the contrary: Kevin Hagemann hit the ball against the crossbar (88th).

More articles in this category can be found here: RWE

Leave a Comment