Bundesliga final series: Polar Bears win game 3 against Munich

Final series for the German championship

Eisbären wins third game against Munich

imago images/Contrast

Video: rbb24 | 05/02/2022 | Sebastien Meyer | Picture: imago images/Contrast

In the final series of the German Ice Hockey League, Eisbären Berlin beat Munich 2-1 in Game 3. The German champions lead 2-1 in best-of-five mode and have the chance to defend their title in Munich on Wednesday.

Eisbären Berlin won the third final match against EHC Red Bull Munich 2-1 (1-1, 1-0, 0-0) and thus took the lead in the final series with 2-1 victories. Berlin’s goals were scored by Zach Boychuck and Dominik Bokk. If the Polar Bears win the next game of the German Ice Hockey Championship on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in Munich, they will once again be German champions.

Instant fire on the ice

After the German champions equalized in the second game of the final series in Munich with a 3-2 victory after extra time, the next task awaited the capital club a day later. Head coach Serge Aubin was hoping for the home advantage before the match, as the Ostbahnhof arena, which was sold out with around 14,000 visitors, was meant to create a unique atmosphere. But the Munich team was not impressed by this in the first game of the final and won 4:3.

In the Polar Bears’ second home game of the final series, the home advantage immediately paid off. After just twelve seconds, Eisbären forward Zach Boychuk broke through the Munich ranks and slammed the puck straight into the post in the guest box. But the Munich team immediately responded with a counter move that polar bear keeper Mathias Niederberger was able to repel with a lightning reaction. The margin of the ex-Berlinois Austin Ortega just missed. Both teams were therefore directly in the game.

Fast forward, fast compensation

In the fourth minute of the game, the guests overdid it a bit and Ben Street had to go to the penalty box for tripping. The hosts were able to take advantage of the ensuing power play, but only with the precious help of their Munich rivals, who managed to play a puck forward which they thought was safe so unfortunately the device of game landed on Zach Boychuck, who was completely empty. The Berliner immediately broke away and took the lead at 137 km/h.

But just a minute and a half later, EHC Red Bull Munich equalized. Zach Redmond was able to use a direct pass because Jonas Müller could not assert himself in the duel and lost the disc to the guests.

Lots of chances, no goals

At the end of the first period, Bayern took the initiative more and more, but the German champions knew how to put some accents in front of the visitor’s goal. For the final siren of the first part of the match, the Berliners had to repel 25 shots on goal. Eisbären goalkeeper Mathias Niederberger remained confident and reacted quickly without conceding a goal.

The intensity increased again in the second third, so that Red Bull Munich and Eisbären Berlin had to continue playing with one less man for two minutes. In the 26th minute, Leonhard Pföderl let his opponent slip away in space with a quick movement, then had his eye on Frank Hördler, who dashed into the backcourt, but failed to convert Eisbären’s lead back .

The German champion then moved his challenger away better and better from his own goal. In the 31st minute, however, the Berliners were lucky: a shot parried by Niederberger bounced in the penalty area and then wobbled between the legs of Munich’s Patrick Hager, who was watching at the far post.

Munich pushes, Berlin strikes

The Polar Bears then continued to create half chances, but the second goal just didn’t come for the Berliners. On the other hand, the Hauptstad team showed defensive stability and always knew how to avoid falling behind at the last moment. On both sides, small inaccuracies in passing or shooting on several occasions meant that spectators could not cheer for another goal.

And so the coincidence must have helped a bit: in the 39th minute of the match, Dominik Bokk held his bat in Kai Wissmann’s shot and the puck landed in the net. After a short video review, the referee gave the goal and the Polar Bears entered the third break with a lead.

Victory through defensive discipline

The third period began just as furiously as the first. Eisbär Marcel Noebels shot straight after 20 seconds, the puck wobbled slightly in the air and landed on the crossbar. Munich goalkeeper Henrik Haukeland, like his teammates, only took care of this slap shot.

Shortly after, Maximilian Kastner had to go to the penalty box, and the hosts again received a restrained start to the game, which, however, died out scoreless. The Berliners’ narrow lead remained, as the Polar Bears defended it in a tactically disciplined manner and goalkeeper Niederberger was always there and masterfully avoided the opposing goal threat.

Carried by the applause and incessant chants of the Eisbären supporters, the hosts were able to pull through until the end of the match. All of Munich’s attacking attempts, whether with a crowbar from the second line or with quick combinations, bounced off the Berlin Wall on the ice and so the hosts were able to take a 2-1 lead. in the final round of the German Ice Hockey Championship. Championship.

Already on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in Munich, the polar bears have the chance to defend their championship with a victory.

Show: rbb24, May 2, 2022, 9:45 p.m.

Leave a Comment