15 years after disappearance: Prime suspect fails to move Maddie case forward

15 years after the disappearance
Prime suspect fails to move Maddie case forward

On May 3, 2007, Kate and Gerry McCann put their daughter Madeleine to bed for the last time, and then the then three-year-old girl disappeared. The case remained unsolved for 15 years. The fact that there is now a prime suspect does not change that.

15 years have passed since the disappearance of Madeleine McCann during a family holiday in the Portuguese Algarve, 15 long years during which the mystery of her disappearance could not be solved. The three-year-old would now be a young woman, or maybe she really is. Because whether Madeleine is still alive or not is also completely uncertain.

However, the missing persons case never became a “cold case” as Maddie’s parents never came to terms with their daughter’s disappearance, despite how long it took. “Although the likelihood is slim, we have not given up hope that Madeleine is still alive and that we find her,” Kate and her father Gerry McCann wrote just days ago.

To this day, the story of the little girl’s disappearance has lost none of its horror. As Maddie approaches her fourth birthday, the family is on vacation at a resort in Praia da Luz. On the evening of May 3, 2007, Maddie sleeps with her younger siblings in the family apartment while the parents have dinner with friends. They continue to watch the children, but suddenly Maddie is gone.

Lots of dead ends

Since then, countless hours of investigation have gone into the case. But the hope that the girl may have woken up and become lost has not been confirmed, nor has the suspicion that the parents may have had something to do with their daughter’s disappearance. For a moment, it seemed like every lead was followed. But then came the turning point.

Ironically, German authorities presented a prime suspect: Christian B., a previously convicted sex offender who is currently serving a prison sentence in Germany. The 45-year-old lived in Praia da Luz for a long time and also knew the resort where the McCann family vacationed. Since then, evidence that could incriminate B. has been repeatedly mentioned in various British newspapers: sexual offenses for which he has already been convicted, lifestyle based on crime, child sexual tendencies, which can be proven with material photo and video, among others. , Statements he made to friends and acquaintances.

But a charge against B in the Maddie case is still a long way off, even though Braunschweig’s lead prosecutor, Hans Christian Wolters, said that after collecting evidence, his investigative team was “100% convinced” that B. had killed Madeleine. .

The suspect is currently serving a multi-year sentence in a prison in Lower Saxony for the rape of a 72-year-old American woman in Praia da Luz in 2005. The next case against him is being prepared, involving two cases of abuse and three rape allegations.

“No one was kidnapped or killed”

According to his lawyer, B. has not yet been confronted with the allegations in the Maddie case. It is said that there was also no access to the files. Last week, Britain’s “Daily Mail” reported that B. had sent her a letter. In it, the 45-year-old stressed he had nothing to do with Madeleine’s disappearance 15 years ago. B. explained in handwritten form, in near-perfect English, how he felt “persecuted” by prosecutors and police.

According to him, he became a suspect “after finding out everything about me. Drug dealers, burglaries, living in cars and when I was 17 there was something about kids.” According to B., he did not kidnap or kill anyone. German investigators assume that Christian B. kidnapped and killed Maddie. The clues are numerous, but the chain of evidence is not complete, and in this case the principle of the presumption of innocence still applies.

Portugal also declared B. suspect. But until there is a confession and no real proof or even mortal remains of Madeleine, the elucidation of the case remains uncertain.

Leave a Comment