Ex-professional footballer Mario Basler took a clear stance on the court verdict against Boris Becker on ‘Stern TV’ on Sunday.Picture: RTL
Boris Becker’s fate is stirring Germany: One of the country’s greatest sporting legends must imprisoned for two and a half years. The former tennis player must serve at least half of it. A court in London, where Becker lives, found it on Friday.
The reason: Becker, who was declared insolvent by the court in 2017, had had to disclose his assets to the insolvency administrators and, in the opinion of the court, omitted important parts.
Sunday’s “Stern TV” also addressed the question of whether the punishment against Becker is fair. One of the guests was Mario Basler. The former football professional is known for speaking his mind clearly and therefore often irritating.
Former tennis star Boris Becker was heading to the London court hearing on Friday that was decisive for him. Photo: ZUMA Press Wire/Tayfun Salci
As punishment for Boris Becker, Basler said his sympathy was limited. “If I don’t have money, I can’t live like a prince.” Becker had the chance to disclose his assets, but did not use them.
Ex-tennis player Kohde-Kilsch can’t defend Becker either
Former tennis player Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, who was also a guest on the show, sees it the same way. The former world number four (1985) knows Becker well, but has no understanding for him in the matter.
“I can’t defend his crimes,” says Kohde-Kilsch. And further: “He did things that you are not allowed to do after the bankruptcy proceedings have been opened.” She too had to file for bankruptcy ten years ago, but the procedure was interrupted after six months. “Bad advice, stubbornness, unreality”it sums up the errors of the former star.
Half of viewers think the verdict is fair
The editors of “Stern TV” also wanted to know from viewers what they thought of the verdict against Boris Becker. According to broadcaster RTL, more than 10,000 people took part. The result: half of the verdict against the former tennis star is right.
Wasn’t this personal decision a good idea after all? Last year, RTL surprisingly decided to Dieter Bohlen as juror for “Deutschland sucht den Superstar” and “Das Supertalent”. RTL justified its decision by saying it wanted to give the programs a new image. The Cologne broadcaster plans to make them more family-friendly.